International Students

International students are welcome to join us for UW Summer Quarter and take courses at a world-class university. With a wide variety of courses, you are sure to find something to match your interests.

Why UW Summer Quarter?

  • Beautiful Campus and City. Attend interesting classes on our scenic campus and enjoy summer in Seattle.
  • Diverse Student Body. Study alongside current UW students, adults and other visitors.
  • Top Teachers. Learn from well-respected UW faculty and instructors.

Huge Selection of Courses

UW Summer Quarter has nearly 2,000 courses available in more than 100 different fields of study. Take a class in social sciences, engineering, computer science and technology, languages, business, health, education, the environment or one of numerous other disciplines.

To learn more about what's available during UW Summer Quarter 2017, see the Time Schedule or MyPlan.

English Language Skills

UW Summer Quarter classes are demanding college courses. In order to ensure success, students applying for an F-1 visa are expected to have advanced verbal and written English language skills.

Students with the following advanced English proficiency levels are able to take 12–18 UW elective credits:

  • TOEFL iBT 92 or above (no subscore below 17)
  • IELTS 7.0 or above (no subscore below 6.5)

Students with English proficiency levels that fall within the following ranges are able to take 7–13 UW elective credits and one 5-credit course from the Academic English Program (AEP) of the UW International & English Language Programs.

  • TOEFL iBT 76–91 (no subscore below 17)
  • IELTS 6.5 (no subscore below 6.0)

Students Who Need an F-1 Visa

If you need an I-20 from the UW to apply for an F-1 student visa to attend Summer Quarter, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old at the time Summer Quarter begins
  • Provide proof of advanced English language proficiency
  • Plan to attend full-time (12–18 credits) and both A and B terms

International students can enroll in undergraduate classes (100–400 level) only.

For information on how to apply for an I-20, see the International Students tab of the How to Register page.

Apply Now

Note: If you’re issued an I-20, you’ll be admitted as a nonmatriculated student for Summer Quarter only. You will NOT be eligible to continue at UW as a non-matriculated student past Summer Quarter.

Students Who Have a Visa Already

If you’re an international student and you already have a visa that permits study in the U.S. or you don’t need a student visa to enter the United States, you may apply directly to Summer Quarter directly on the non-UW Students tab of the How to Register page.

Register Now

More Information

For questions about studying as an international student during Summer Quarter, including visa questions, email