Stay Connected

Sign up for notifications about upcoming information meetings, important dates and other program updates.

UWSQ Photo

International Students

An international student not seeking a degree from the University of Washington who wishes to enroll in courses only during Summer Quarter may use the Summer-only application form. He or she will be admitted as a non-degree seeking student for summer only and may not continue in autumn.

International students wishing to begin their studies in Summer Quarter and continue in Autumn Quarter must be formally admitted to the UW as a degree-seeking student. For undergraduate admission information, please visit; for graduate admission information, please visit

Please note: The University cannot provide I-20 forms or give other assistance in obtaining F-1 (student) status for attendance in Summer Quarter only. Summer-only students must have F-1 (student) status already through enrollment at another U.S. college or university, or be able to enter the United States without a student visa. This applies equally to Canadian students.

English for International Students

Summer-only students have no English language requirement; the following information applies to non-degree seeking students only:

If your native language is not English, you may wish to seek academic counseling before you enroll. An adviser can help you learn the level of English language competence needed to successfully complete the courses you plan to take. Academic counseling is strongly recommended for international students whose scores are less than 580 on the paper version or 237 on the computer version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or below 90 on the Michigan Language Test (MLT). Academic advising is available from Summer Quarter Academic Advising, 206-543-6160; the Undergraduate Advising Center, 206-543-2550; or departments offering the courses you plan to take.

Please note: Summer-only students may enroll in English 111, 121 and 131 only if they have met the following English language requirements: score of at least 580 (paper version) or 237 (computer version) on the TOEFL or one of these equivalent scores: 90 on the MLT, 410 on the SAT-Verbal, 490 on the SAT-Verbal (recentered), or 20 on the ACT English. For more information or to obtain entry codes, please contact the English Advising Office, Padelford A2B (see map), 206-543-2634.

Students seeking to improve their English skills are encouraged to take noncredit English language courses offered each quarter by UW Educational Outreach. These students should not submit an application to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Office of Graduate Admissions to take English language courses, but should apply directly to the English Language Program. Information about UW IELP courses can be obtained by writing to International & English Language Programs, UW Educational Outreach, Box 354232, Seattle, WA 98195-4232; telephone: 206-543-6242; or see UW IELP for information on the English Language program options.

International Student Services

International Student Services (ISS), located in Schmitz Hall, Room 459 (see map), is a valuable resource for international students, providing support on matters ranging from "culture shock" to complex immigration procedures. For more information, call 206-221-7857 or visit the ISS Web site.